“Honestly, self-care is not fluffy – it’s something
we should take seriously.”
I knew where this week was going even before it even started…a week of facilitating global business meetings Monday through Thursday from 8-5. Normally I find these type of meetings fun, collaborative, and exhilarating, however even before I walked into this weeks’ meetings I had some negative vibes (hidden agendas, witch hunts, and power plays). I knew that I could not control my external environment….so what did I decide to do?
I turned my self-care attitude into action.
What does my self-care attitude look like…
- scheduling a massage the weekend before the meetings
- planning and booking a weekend adventure with friends
- packing my traveling altar
- playing my singing bowl for a few minutes every day
- creating daily fresh banana, yogurt, kale smoothies in my hotel room
- drinking freshly squeezed lime water daily
- wearing boots that make me feel empowered
- surrounding myself with quotes that remind me of who I am
- saying “No” to attending the 4th group business dinner of the week
- making space daily to exercise
- scheduling reflexology the weekend after the meetings
It has taken me years to develop this self-care attitude and make time for myself. I was raised to believe that every ones needs came before my own. For years I believed that…
- Self-care is selfish.
- Self-care is expensive.
- Self-care is time consuming.
- I don’t need self-care.
These beliefs made committing to self-care for myself difficult. Do any of these beliefs sound familiar to you?
What I have learned about self-care…
- It is okay to take care of my needs and feelings. (If I don’t, who will take care of me?)
- I can take care of myself without being “selfish” or neglecting others. (There is room for everyone’s needs and feelings.)
- Self-care doesn’t have to cost money or a lot of time. (Self-care is an attitude, not a trip to the Caribbean.)
So what is your self-care attitude?
Do you put your needs and feelings first?
What one small self-care action can you start today?
Your guide to bringing your gifts out into the world and making you shine!